I’ve been taking some time to regroup and reflect upon what happened this year. 2022 was certainly a development year. Lots of learnings aka fails. But, as the saying goes “If you’re not failing, you’re not trying hard enough.”
I’ve written down my top 5 learnings below. Feel free to hit REPLY and let me know your learnings. Sometimes, it’s good just to put it out into the universe. I have big plans for next year so cheers to crushing it in 2023!
Wishing you a Happy & Healthy New Year!
Kimberle’s Top 5 Lessons in 2022
- My healthy baking subscription box business was not working. I launched my business in August 2021 with hopes to highlight other minority, women, sustainability-focused small food business owners and teach people how to bake healthy. But, this did not seem to resonate. So I decided in June 2022 to PIVOT. For the last 6 months, I’ve been building out an idea based on the next lesson.
- My target customer wants to be healthy, but is super busy and needs convenience. So, I need to give her what she wants. My next product will be healthy and convenient.
- I should not seek validation from social media because I will get burned every time. After 8 months of building my Instagram account, it was deleted for NO reason. I started over and more than doubled it with great engagement only to have the algorithms change and not share my content. I am now testing Tik Tok, but I have to keep reminding myself that my business success isn’t defined by likes.
- The entrepreneur life isn’t for the faint of heart. You need thick skin to accept AND request feedback; discipline to set boundaries because unlike most corporate jobs there are no defined office hours; and perseverance to keep the faith when you’re unsure your business will make it.
- Even though my subscription box business didn’t work, I touched the lives of over 385 people/ families through my healthy baking kits. That stat alone makes me feel like I accomplished something. I will hang my hat on that in 2022.