Here's a delicious and versatile recipe for a Leftover Pie, which you can make with a variety of Thanksgiving or holiday leftovers.
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour/ gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted (vegan) butter, cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups of mixed Thanksgiving leftovers (turkey, roasted vegetables, stuffing, etc.)
- 1 cup leftover gravy
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup leftover cranberry sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or your hands to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix just until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the Oven:
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
3. Prepare the Filling:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mixed Thanksgiving leftovers (chopped into bite-sized pieces) and leftover gravy. Mix well, so the leftovers are coated with gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured surface to fit a pie dish. Place the pie crust into the dish.
Spread a layer of mashed potatoes on the bottom of the crust.
Add the leftover Thanksgiving leftovers and gravy mixture on top of the mashed potatoes.
Dollop cranberry sauce evenly over the filling.
4. Assemble the Pie:
Roll out the second half of the pie crust to create the top layer. You can make a traditional double-crust pie or use a lattice design for a decorative touch.
Seal and crimp the edges of the pie crust to enclose the filling.
Cut a few slits or create a decorative pattern in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake the Pie:
Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is heated through.
Allow the pie to cool for a few minutes before slicing. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
Enjoy your Leftover Pie as a delightful and comforting meal that gives your Thanksgiving or holiday leftovers a delicious second life!